CofC Logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Common questions about the Provisional Program

Why was I designated a Provisional Student?

While Undergraduate Academic Services is here to support students in the Provisional Program, we do not play a role in Provisional Admissions decisions. Typically, Provisional Admission is offered to select students who may not meet all criteria of admissions (e.g., test scores, class rank, etc.) but who show great potential to be successful at the College of Charleston. If you have questions about why you were designated a "Provisional Student," please contact the Office of Admissions 

I have questions about the terms outlined in my provisional contract. Who should I speak to?

For questions about your contract or to request a copy, please contact Undergraduate Academic Services at 843-953-5674 or We also welcome walk-in visits to our office, located in Lightsey Room 101.

How does Undergraduate Academic Services track my academic progress during my provisional year?

The tracking of provisional students’ academic progress during the first year includes a review of midterm and end of the semester grades during both fall and spring semesters. If, at any point, it appears that you may be at risk for not meeting the academic standards required by the Provisional Program, you may be expected to meet with Undergraduate Academic Services staff, enroll in a not-for-credit Learning Strategies course (EDLS 100), and/or work with staff from the Center for Student Learning to receive more intensive academic support. Click here for more information on how Undergraduate Academic Services evaluates the progress of Provisional Students.

Other than Undergraduate Academic Services, what resources are available to help me be successful during my Provisional Year?

Undergraduate Academic Services encourages all provisional students to visit us to check in, seek support, and receive referrals to a campus-wide network of resources and support services offered to address the various needs of provisionally admitted students. You can also find more information about academic support available by visiting our Academic Resources page.

What happens if I don’t meet the expectations of the provisional program as explained in my contract?

If you have not met the terms of your Provisional Contract at the end of your first year, you will receive a letter informing you that you will not be permitted to enroll beyond the spring semester. Provisional students who are not offered regular enrollment after their provisional year may reapply to the College of Charleston after they have completed 30 credit hours at another institution, meeting transfer admission GPA requirements. Provisional students who have not been offered continued enrollment and have documented mitigating circumstances that have impacted their ability to meet the requirements of the Provisional Program may consider appealing the end-of-year decision.

Will you share information on my academic progress with my parents/guardians?

In order for Undergraduate Academic Services to share information about your academic progress with parents, guardians or other designees, students must complete an “Authorization and Consent to Release Education Records” form in our office. For more information, click here.