Withdrawing From Courses
Information about withdrawals before and after the deadline
Before the withdrawal deadline
Students planning to withdraw themselves from class(es) may do so on the web via MyCharleston up until the withdrawal deadline. Please click here for directions on how to withdraw from classes. The deadline by which students may withdraw themselves from classes is available on the Registrar’s official academic calendar. Information about possible tuition refunds associated with date of withdrawal are available via the Office of the Treasurer.
Students should make sure to resolve any registration holds on their records prior to the last day to withdraw. Students who withdraw themselves online via MyCharleston should check their record to ensure that they withdrew correctly. Neither failure to resolve registration holds nor failure to withdraw correctly are not considered a justification for late withdrawal after the withdrawal deadline.
After the withdrawal deadline - Petitions for Late Withdrawal
Students who are facing significant mitigating circumstances and who have missed the withdrawal deadline may submit a Petition for Withdrawal After the Official Withdrawal Deadline to be considered for late withdrawal from courses. Late Withdrawal petitions are considered only in cases where continued enrollment in the course would be detrimental to the student's health or if extenuating circumstances prevent the student's continued enrollment. Regardless of circumstances, late withdrawal petitions are not guaranteed to be approved. For more information on late withdrawals, please review our online information and/or contact Undergraduate Academic Services.
Are you thinking about withdrawing from all your classes before the deadline? Or have you been approved for late withdrawal before the semester has ended? Be sure to address any of the following that may be applicable to you:
- Consider meeting with your Academic Advisor or Undergraduate Academic Services staff to discuss your options and your plan for returning to the College in a future semester.
- Talk with Financial Aid office to make sure you understand the impact of withdrawing on your financial aid.
- Talk to the Office of the Treasurer if you have questions about the tuition refund policy.
- Contact Residence Life and Housing to discuss moving out of your room and your options for cancelling your housing contract.
- Contact Parking Services to arrange the cancellation of your permit.
- Contact Cougar Card Services to arrange refund of Cougar Cash balance.
- If you are planning on extended time away from the College:
- Submit a request for a Leave of Absence for up to two semesters if you meet GPA eligibility requirements (cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher). NOTE: If you are planning to return for the next major semester, then a Leave of Absence request is NOT required.
- Submit a request for a Complete Withdrawal from the College if you do not plan to return to the College of Charleston.